Maintenance Plan on SQL Server 7 "Executing Job Step '1 (Step 1)' - Job never finishes
Posted on 2003-10-29
Using SQL Server Agent's Database Maintenance Plan on SQL Server 7, SP4 (Windows 2000 SP3), it used to be that jobs ran fine. I am not sure what I changed, but they simply started not finishing (only affects one DB). Now when they run, their status lists "Executing Job Step '1 (Step 1)' forever. Tasks that take 4 seconds now go on for ever and never finish. If I restart the SQL server service the jobs will run for about a day and then they stop working.
Things I've tried.
Deleted all maintenance plans and recreated
Increased disk space (I have plenty for backups now)
restarted the box
sp_who2 doesn't return any locks on the DB
Seems odd to me that the problem only affects a single DB. The system DB's and a couple other DB's we use all run fine.
Disk space had been a problem at one time but I since corrected that and have recreated my maintence plans.
The DB is 900MB with unrestricted file growth