We are running a Win2K network with a mix of clients. Last week we started having some users not be able to logon to Win9x clients, but are still able to get on Win2K Pro and XP Pro clients. Prior to last week these users could get on the Win9x client no problem! It also effects our VPN users, who authenticate against the domain controller. The following two events show up in the event log.
Event Id 681
The logon to account: RICH
from workstation: \\SCANLJ
failed. The error code was: 3221225578
Event Id 529
Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
User Name: RICH
Logon Type: 3
Logon Process: NtLmSsp
Authentication Package: NTLM
Workstation Name: \\SCANLJ
What is interesting is that we have some intranet applications that authenticate against the domain and if someone else logs on to the Win9x client the user that wasn't able to logon can get logged on to those apps from the Win9x client! But I'm assuming this is using a different method of authentication.
If we add a new user, the new user has the problem. If we copy a user that is working okay the copy has the problem.
We thought it might be a corrupted AD as we had an older domain controller that was starting to crash on a regular basis. We took that server offline after moving it's duties over to our other domain controller. This weekend we ran tests against the AD on the remaining domain controller and didn't get any errors.
I've spent all morning searching multiple sites including this one for answers to no avail! Hopefully someone out there has an suggestion!