creating a curved line in Photoshop 6

I have been trying to follow the instructions in Photoshop on how to draw a curved line but am really struggling

I basically want to draw a right angle that has a curve on it
I have tried drawing two curved rectangles and superimposing one on the other and tried playing with anchor points but am struggling to make it look smooth and consistent

please can you tell me how to draw a curved line so it looks like it has been done by a pro!

Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Saqib KhanSenior DeveloperCommented:
after you draw your right angle triangle.
tru usiong filters.
try In filters>distort>shear on your sides of triangles.
then in popup manu you can give as much curve as you want to.

lz7cjcAuthor Commented:
sorry - when i said a right angle I mean a the line curves around the 90 degree corner


like that but curved rather than a point at the corner!

CompTIA Network+

Prepare for the CompTIA Network+ exam by learning how to troubleshoot, configure, and manage both wired and wireless networks.

Saqib KhanSenior DeveloperCommented:
When Your Selection is Active, DO

Select > Modify > Smooth

Enter a Value for Smooth Border's.
Do you want a raster line or a vector line?
Steps are almost the same.

Use the rounded rectangle tool to draw a rectangle with rounded corners. Using the direct selection tool select the 2 anchor points in the lower right corner, and the 2 points on each adjacent corner that are closest to the lower left corner. Hit delete. That's a vector line. It may be partially filled with the foreground color used when creating the rounded rectangle.

To make it a raster line select the shape, copy, make a new path in the paths palette, and paste. Bring up the contextual menu on the path and select "Stroke Path".
lz7cjcAuthor Commented:
am afraid I can't get either of those to work
when I try to follow your instructions, the only thing that changes is the selection itself - the line underneath does not change... perhaps we could go back a step to understand how I get the smooth instruction to work on the line?

I am not clear on which anchor points to delete - I cannot get the smooth corner that I am after despite trying to follow your instructions and then trying all sorts of different combinations... as for your second option, I am afraid I did not understand what you were saying

I am pretty much a novice with Photoshop so do need pretty specific instructions using the exact names that Photoshop uses to identify what to do...

also I don't know whether I want a vector or raster layer since I do not know what the difference is.... I want to use the image as a gif as a border on a web site

thanks for you help so far.. looking forward to learning how to do this
lz7cjcAuthor Commented:
think I have worked it out so don't worry - am drawing a thick straight line and then adding anchor points to bend it to the shape I want
Remember that the manual is your friend. It has almost everything you need to know about the tools and what they do. If you're feeling like a noob that's the best place to start.
lz7cjcAuthor Commented:
thanks - the problem is understanding some of their terminology
Understanding the terminology is the key to working with any text book/manual/how-to guide --

me I always like one with lots and lots and lots of pictures... because they can tell so much more.

I mean - insert slot b to a so that a is al;dsjfa; to f and alkjdf;la to j ... GRRR! ;-) we've all been there and know what you are going through. Just keep a dictionary on hand and a page open to ask a question of EE experts and hopefully you can be guided through the meanings and layars of dumbness in manuals that need degrees of understanding to understand something basic;-)

sorry - its late and I've been looking through books all day trying to find solutions and your comment gave me inspiration to respond.

Jim MCommented:
I think I understand what you're looking for...

Try this:

1) Start on a new layer. Using the rectangle marquee, draw a rectangle (duh!)
2) at the top left, there are 4 buttons (in PS7, hope it's also that way in 6!) The 3rd one over is 'subtract from selection'. make sure its selected.
3) Grab the elliptical marquee and draw a circle over your square or rectangle. Use the space bar to move the circle around. Remember, you aren't interested in either the rectangle OR the circle; you want what's left after you let go of the mouse button.
4) when the ellipse is where you want it, leaving a 'chopped off' rect or square, let go of the mouse button. If all goes well, you should a triangle left, or maybe it looks like the top part of the letter 'T', just depends on how you do it. It isn't rounded yet, but we'll do that next.
4) with the triangle still selected, fill it with a color (white BG and black fill is fine for now)
5) Now go to the channels pallette, select new channel. You should see 'Alpha 1' there. Press delete. Should see a black BG and a white triangle for your image.
6) Deselect your selection (Ctrl+D) and go to Filters-BLur-Gaussian Blur. Apply (maybe) a 3 to 5 pixel blur. Don't worry if it doesn't look good, just don't make it really really blurry.
7) Now this is the step that does the rounding. Bring up the levels dialog box (Ctrl+L). Move those little triangles ont the right and left towards the center, so that they are all lined up near the middle. Your input levels (at the top) may be something like: 136   1.00   172. At this point, you should see that your shape is rounded like you want.
8) Select it (Ctrl click the layer), create a new layer, and fill the selection onto the new layer. Delete the olf layer and you should have what you want. To color it, press Ctrl U, click 'colorize' at the bottom, and slide the hue slider to get your color.

This is really hard to describe in words! It isn't too difficult a process, though. I recommend 2 books for you, both by Scott Kelby. 1 is "Photoshop Killer Tips" and the other is "Down and Dirty Tricks". Both books have lots of pics and take you step by step in Mac and Win.

This site also has some tutorials on cornering, etc...

Hope this helps!


Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
I would take a fwe tutorials for it, as you learn alot.. I surgest Good luck.

It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Adobe Creative Suite CS

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.