Can't locate object method "new" via package "Crypt::CBC"

Posted on 2003-11-04
Last Modified: 2010-07-27
I have a perl script which works with no problems, but when I use perlcc to compile the perl script I receive the following error: Can't locate object method "new" via package "Crypt::CBC"

Have anyone any idea why this happens once compiled?
Question by:tony_cusano
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 4
  • 3
  • 2
  • +1

Accepted Solution

inq123 earned 25 total points
ID: 9680712
That means it can't find the path of Crypt::CBC.  It's the same as not using "use Crypt::CBC" in your perl script.  You might need to change the compile options for perlcc to make sure paths are correctly set.  I have not used perlcc myself, so can't say for sure where to look, but -I might be useful.  Also it might help to see if the compiled file works in certain directory but not others, which would mean a certain relative path was compiled in, but not absolute path.  You might try to include "use lib" in your script with absolute path spelled out there.

Author Comment

ID: 9685169
Unfortunate the -I or the use lib does not resolve my issue.

Here's the syntax

cc  -xO3 -xdepend -I/usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/CORE /usr/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris/auto/Digest/MD5/ /usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/auto/Fcntl/ /usr/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris/auto/Crypt/DES/ /usr/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris/auto/Crypt/CBC/ -o d  -L/usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/CORE -lperl -lsocket -lnsl -ldl -lm -lc -lcrypt

that gives me the problem.

Expert Comment

ID: 9685524
are you using compiled executable on the same machine and got the complaint?  If it's a different machine it's easier to understand.

I can't see any reason why compiled as above with the so files ready would cause problem like that.  Can you try perlcc with -gen or -sav enabled to see if anything looks unusual in C code?
Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!


Assisted Solution

acameron earned 25 total points
ID: 9689085
This is the main reason perl compilers stink.  ALL of them have this problem, Perl App, Perl2Exe etc etc etc.

It is a problem with the includes, you are using an include like use myApp::Module and the has an include Crypt::CBC and when you compile it the crypt CBC is not getting pulled in.  Find the module/file you are using that uses Crypt::CBC and above its include/require line put use Crypt::CBC;

Then you should be able to compile and run with no problems.

Author Comment

ID: 9692540
I found out that the Crypt::CBC is an Perl-only implementation and does not produce the .so could this be a problem?

Expert Comment

ID: 9693738
yelp, I think so.  It's perlcc's convention to compile pm to so files, if it can't, then I guess your program has problem at run time finding the implementation of Crypt::CBC.  Basically Crypt::CBC is compiled as a shared library, but if it fails to produce that library, then the executable can't use it.  But I wonder if any other expert would have some work-around suggestion?

Expert Comment

ID: 9693906
I have not used PerlCC that much, I used Perl2Exe whith Crypt::CBC for Net::SSH::Perl.

Expert Comment

ID: 9693927
Like I said I just had to include all the modules specifically.

Expert Comment

ID: 9694237
I kinda agree with acameron (and his suggestion slight differs from mine but follows the same principle), I also had experience with perl2exe and also met with the same problem, and all I had to do is to add command line to include the module specifically (I think) or maybe I used "use lib".  I think I probably added "use lib" at the start of the script or something.  Anyway it worked for me.
LVL 20

Expert Comment

ID: 10049479
Nothing has happened on this question in more than 8 weeks. It's time for cleanup!

My recommendation, which I will post in the Cleanup topic area, is to
split points [grade B] between inq123 and acameron (only partial resolution).


EE Cleanup Volunteer

Featured Post

Free Tool: ZipGrep

ZipGrep is a utility that can list and search zip (.war, .ear, .jar, etc) archives for text patterns, without the need to extract the archive's contents.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way to say thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

Title # Comments Views Activity
Perl script to parse xml file 2 144
Get a Perl script to return content from a module 7 86
Regex rule to match two different url 5 77
Create an automated page index 9 109
On Microsoft Windows, if  when you click or type the name of a .pl file, you get an error "is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file", then this means you do not have the .pl file extension associated with …
Many time we need to work with multiple files all together. If its windows system then we can use some GUI based editor to accomplish our task. But what if you are on putty or have only CLI(Command Line Interface) as an option to  edit your files. I…
Explain concepts important to validation of email addresses with regular expressions. Applies to most languages/tools that uses regular expressions. Consider email address RFCs: Look at HTML5 form input element (with type=email) regex pattern: T…

734 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question