• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 19065
  • Last Modified:

SOLVED! Cannot run the FrontPage Server Extensions - Search Bot with Index Server


       
<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=025f01c354a6%24b611a5a0%24a301280a%40phx.gbl&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3Dindex%2Bserver%2BCannot%2Brun%2Bthe%2BFrontPage%2BServer%2BExtensions%2Bon%2Bthis%2Bpage%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg>



Hello,

I seem to have a very similar situation described by the thread reference above, whereby I get a "Cannot run the FrontPage Server Extensions on this page:" when trying to run a search of my Index Server from a FP bot generated search form. I have posted this question to microsoft.public.frontpage.client as well, but have not received any reply in two days so I beseech you to assist me.



This is the environment we are running:

1. Index server -- which does run via the Index server interface
2. Application Server (two windows 2000 professional boxes).
3. IIS 5 - using IIS lockdown, but have explicitly allowed the appropriate extensions (.idq, .ida, .htw)
4. FrontPage server Extensions 2002 installed



The instruction mentioned in the thread link above seem like they might be of assistance, but I have followed all of the advices, from the link above, as well as what I could scoured from the Microsoft Knowledge base, and still get the error.

I do have this running on our dev and beta servers, which have identical IIS configurations to production, and the beta even has IIS lockdown configured just as production does (to eliminate the possibility that the lookdown tool was the problem) so the primary (and only one that I can see) difference is that our dev server is running Microsoft Application Center on two servers. I have checked both machines of the cluster to ensure the IIS lockdown is identical for both and match the beta/dev extension mapping, and it seems that the application extensions are properly affiliated (.idq and .ida ==> idq.dll etc.) I have restarted/reset IIS on both machines, rebooted both machines, checked registry values, and am stumped for the solution. Other fp bots (hit counter, weather forecaster) on the clustered servers work.

I have ensured that

1. we do NOT have the registry key for 'noindex'
2. we have sharepoint on the cluster (though I am still not sure why exactly), but other FP bots work on that same environment (such as hit counters),
3. FP extensions for index server are open via IIS lockdown (not implicitly disallowed, and are explicitly allowed)
4. I have checked my value in the _vti_script folder to be sure it is correct (cicatalog=D:\InternetSearchCatalogs)


Any advice you can provide is appreciated.

Joyce

0
perlgurl
Asked:
perlgurl
  • 2
1 Solution
 
perlgurlAuthor Commented:


hello,

I have [finally] been able to resolve the FP server extensions message (though the application extensions were properly mapped for .shtml, I had removed the .shtml from IIS lockdown, but IIS lockdown was being tricky and was explicitly  disallowing .shtm too and once I allowed that, I am able to run the bot)

However, I am not getting password challenged when I submit the form. Specifically I am getting
"access denied by ACL on resource"  (in IE)
Opera tells me "The server requested a login authentication method that is not supported"

Either way, I am being denied access to a resources (the internet catalog that index server is trying to search -- located on d:\internetsearchcatalog with fairly open permissions, plenty for IIS to connect) on what should be an anonymous access website. I have checked and triple check the directory permissions to allow anonymous access, using the same [machine] account all my other websites are using (even down to the file permission level).

Andy advice? I am pulling my hair out on this one, and I would like to keep my pretty long hair on my head!

Joyce
0
 
perlgurlAuthor Commented:


hello again,

turns out I answered my own question -- and turns out the idq.dll file on the production web server did not have enough access, which is what was causing me the 40.1.3 / password challenge / ACL access issue.

I gave idq.dll read /execute writes for everyone and voila! I get to keep my hair ;)

Thanks for having a place for me to be able to work out my technical issues.

Joyce
0
 
coreybryantCommented:
No comment has been added lately, so it's time to clean up this TA.
I will leave a recommendation in the Cleanup topic area that this question is:
PAQ / REFUND
Please leave any comments here within the next four days.

PLEASE DO NOT ACCEPT THIS COMMENT AS AN ANSWER!

coreybryant
FP Page Editor
0

Featured Post

NEW Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 1.5

With Office 365, it’s your data and your responsibility to protect it. NEW Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 eliminates the risk of losing access to your Office 365 data.

  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now