Solved

Page encoding render issues in different countries

Posted on 2003-11-12
7
245 Views
Last Modified: 2010-04-09
Hi,

I have a web site that users can log into from China, Finland and the UK.  Recently users in China reported that some pages were displaying incorrectly (HTML showing in the page).  An example was code that originally was written

     <FORM....>

was translated by browsers in China to read

     ?FORM....>

To combat this, I added the line

   <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

to the <HEAD> area, which successfully solved the issue.

Now, users in Finland are saying they cannot log in because their usernames have become corrupt, and characters that usually have dots/accents above them are displaying as black squares.  When I view their details from my administrator account I see this problem also.

Can anyone tell me if there is a method of encoding to solve both problems?  Or is there another way that is easier than forcing all my Finnish colleagues to have their names changed??!

0
Comment
Question by:Rouchie
  • 4
7 Comments
 
LVL 25

Author Comment

by:Rouchie
ID: 9736206
Also to make things more complicated, some of our users may be using IE4 and Win95, although most use IE5/6 with Win98/2000.
0
 
LVL 11

Expert Comment

by:Zontar
ID: 9737801
You'll need to convert all the usernames to utf-8. What server programming technology and database are you using?
0
 
LVL 25

Author Comment

by:Rouchie
ID: 9737841
It's not actually our server, but I believe its' ASP.NET running on Win2000 with SQL Server 7
0
Netscaler Common Configuration How To guides

If you use NetScaler you will want to see these guides. The NetScaler How To Guides show administrators how to get NetScaler up and configured by providing instructions for common scenarios and some not so common ones.

 
LVL 25

Author Comment

by:Rouchie
ID: 9776703
The solution to this question turned out to be a mixture of character encoding, and the fonts that were used in the pages.  Obviously, a font was required that had support for both Simplified Chinese and Finnish characters, but the stylesheet hadn't been altered to allow for this.

Once the page was encoded as UTF-8, an appropriate font was then required.  I have asked a more detailed question regarding this in another topic group.
0
 
LVL 25

Author Comment

by:Rouchie
ID: 9782954
For anyone experiencing a similar problem, the issue is investigated further in this forum...

  http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web/Web_Languages/CSS/Q_20802378.html
0
 
LVL 1

Accepted Solution

by:
Computer101 earned 0 total points
ID: 9802970
PAQed, with points refunded (150)

Computer101
E-E Admin
0

Featured Post

3 Use Cases for Connected Systems

Our Dev teams are like yours. They’re continually cranking out code for new features/bugs fixes, testing, deploying, testing some more, responding to production monitoring events and more. It’s complex. So, we thought you’d like to see what’s working for us.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Someone recently asked me about how to display a progress indicator on a page while an iframe is loading. And I remember when I first came across this myself. It was a bit tricky to get my head around, but really, it's very simple. The most impor…
This article discusses how to create an extensible mechanism for linked drop downs.
The viewer will learn the basics of jQuery including how to code hide show and toggles. Reference your jQuery libraries: (CODE) Include your new external js/jQuery file: (CODE) Write your first lines of code to setup your site for jQuery…
Video by: Mark
This lesson goes over how to construct ordered and unordered lists and how to create hyperlinks.

832 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question