Hi, I have a large project (500 files, 6 MB of code lines, 50 dll/ocx references, the EXE is 15 MB) and the IDE is very slow.
It can become stalled using 100% CPU for one or two minutes.
I think it's not just about the size of the code because it was not so long one month ago with just a couple of new files since.
This happens at the initial load when i click page down on a code window.
And again when I modify a procedure argument and go to another module and click page down, so I guess he's checking again the syntax of the whole project.
Even with no option to check the syntax or display the dropdown automatically.
I traced the filesystem access and VB6.EXE is not accessing any file when this happens.
What I've tried so far with no success:
- unloading all addins
- checking and unchecking any option I could find in the vb options form
- testing another project with no form/control/ocx
- moving all enums and types in a single class/module (I thought it could reduce dependencies if this slow down the syntax checks)
- defragmenting the drive
- removing unused code
Using VB6 SP5 on W2000, NTFS, plenty of ram available, same problem on 2 different machines
I'm especially looking for hints from people who had a similar problem and found a way to improve the ide speed (something else than splitting the code into several projects !)