Solved

Thread was being aborted exception with Web Service/SQL Server

Posted on 2003-11-13
Last Modified: 2007-12-19
Hi

We have a C# web service which calls SPs (via the ADO.NET SqlCommand and SqlDataAdapter objects) to read data from a SQL Sever 2000 database.  We get the following exception intermittently

Thread was being aborted.
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream)    
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)    
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(Object data, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)    
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable dataTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)     at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable dataTable)  

Our connection and command timeouts are set to 30 seconds.

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate an explanation or (even better) a workaround

TIA
Wile_E
Comment
Question by:wile_e_coyote
13 Comments

LVL 42

Expert Comment

by:frodoman
ID: 9742198
Check your maximum concurrent connections on SQL Server.  Possibly this is intermittent because you're exceeding the max connections specified - your thread will wait for a free connection and then timeout if one isn't freed up.

LVL 5

Expert Comment

by:mondayblueboy
ID: 9746018
Do you have exception handler in the code? If yes, I suspect the error comes from a line in the try block. Post code might be helpful.

LVL 4

Author Comment

by:wile_e_coyote
ID: 9750586
Frodoman - I'm looking into your suggestion.

MondayBlueBoy - Here is (more or less) the code.   But take a look at the stack trace from above.  The error is occuring in the Fill method of the dataadapter.

DataSet ds = new DataSet();
SqlConnection cn = new SqlConnection (...);
SqlDataAdapter da = new SqlDataAdapter ();
da.SelectCommand = mySelectCmd;     //mySelectCmd is on the web service designer and is an SP call

try
{
  da.Fill (ds);
}
catch (Exception e)

LVL 5

Expert Comment

by:mondayblueboy
ID: 9751466
Just one more q.
Is that all code in the try block?

LVL 4

Author Comment

ID: 9751470
Yes
Find Ransomware Secrets With All-Source Analysis

Ransomware has become a major concern for organizations; its prevalence has grown due to past successes achieved by threat actors. While each ransomware variant is different, we’ve seen some common tactics and trends used among the authors of the malware.

LVL 4

Author Comment

ID: 9817968
Frodoman - our DBA says we are set up to allow unlimited connections

LVL 42

Expert Comment

ID: 9818067
Possible user interaction during the time your fill is being executed?  Normally the "Thread being aborted" message occurs on a webform during a response.redirect / response.end type of execution (both of which always throw a ThreadAbortException).

I may be completely off base here, but if it's an intermittent problem is it possible that a user is clicking something during the fill that is causing the page to try to reload / change before the dataset is full?

LVL 4

Author Comment

ID: 9818192
Naw - the error is reported by the web service (on the SqlDataAdapter.Fill call), not the UI (which is a windows forms app).

LVL 42

Expert Comment

ID: 9818313
Sorry wile_e - Nothing else I can think of, but good luck solving it!

LVL 4

Author Comment

ID: 9853437
Its worth an additional 250 points for me to make some progress on this.   Any takers?

LVL 4

Accepted Solution

by:
wile_e_coyote earned 0 total points
ID: 10236236
Turns out that the httpRuntime executionTimeout setting in the machine.config file on the web server was causing IIS to kill the thread after 90 seconds.   Increasing this setting resolved the problem

I'm going to request that this question be closed.

Featured Post

IT, Stop Being Called Into Every Meeting

Highfive is so simple that setting up every meeting room takes just minutes and every employee will be able to start or join a call from any room with ease. Never be called into a meeting just to get it started again. This is how video conferencing should work!

Join & Write a Comment

In my previous article (http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Languages/.NET/.NET_Framework_3.x/A_4362-Serialization-in-NET-1.html) we saw the basics of serialization and how types/objects can be serialized to Binary format. In this blog we wi…
Many of us here at EE write code. Many of us write exceptional code; just as many of us write exception-prone code. As we all should know, exceptions are a mechanism for handling errors which are typically out of our control. From database errors, t…
Polish reports in Access so they look terrific. Take yourself to another level. Equations, Back Color, Alternate Back Color. Write easy VBA Code. Tighten space to use less pages. Launch report from a menu, considering criteria only when it is filled…
This video explains how to create simple products associated to Magento configurable product and offers fast way of their generation with Store Manager for Magento tool.

747 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question

Need Help in Real-Time?

Connect with top rated Experts

11 Experts available now in Live!

Get 1:1 Help Now