This issue is so bizarre that all the symptoms point to a virus but according to Norton Antivirus that is not the case.
A few days ago I was working on my computer and needed to access the corporate Intranet. When I typed the address into the address bar (in the format http://myintranet
) in Internet Explorer and it redirected me to http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=myintranet
. I quickly realised the same was true of every local web server address on my network, including http://localhost
which now redirects to http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=localhost
. No configuration changes took place to make this happen, it just did.
After much investigation I discovered that whilst http://myintranet
is not recognised, http://myintranet.mydomain.com
(the server's full address) does work and points to the correct place. Futher to this, I can ping myintranet with no problems whatsoever, and http://myintranet
works perferctly in Netscape. It also works fine under Internet Explorer on every other PC on my network. If I type the server's IP address instead of it's name, ie. http://10.4.100.1
, this also works. Interestingly, ftp://myintranet
also works just fine. And if that isn't weird enough, try this: http://myintranet/index.html
DOES work and so does http://myintranet/mypages/index.html
don't, same for my own machine - I can access http://localhost/index.asp
but not http://localhost
And today, for around 5 minutes while I was downloading a Windows Update security patch, these local computer names all worked again, but as quickly as the problem solved itself, it came back again.
I use a proxy server at work and I have 'bypass proxy server for local addresses' checked. At home I have a DSL direct internet connection and I experience the same problem (it's a laptop which I use in both locations). I'm running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2, Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1. I've tried resetting all my Internet Explorer settings, and I've tried reinstalling Internet Explorer - neither worked. It's as if Internet Explorer is recognising local computer names and deliberately choosing not to read them unless they are part of a URL which points to a specific file, not just the homepage of a web server or to a folder on that server. It's driving me mad and I would be extremely grateful for a solution, hence the points...