Bring a computer to a domain preserving documents and settings or Reestablish the trust relationship.
Posted on 2003-11-19
1) Customer with a w2k server domain (with exchange) with about 10 client PCs (W98, W2K Pro, WXP).
2) Customer decided to reinstall the w2k server from scratch. He decided to manually create users and computers directly in the server, mantaining previous names hopping that all be quite transparent.
3) Here is when I come to this customer.
4) When turning on the PCs I noticed that they could log on the user (i.e. the server actually granted access to the server to this user) although the PC is not recognized (computer asset in AD ?)
5) I tried to "demote" this client PC to a workgroup and afterwards joined the domain. It worked but I noticed that it created a new profile, thus losing documents and settings etc.. In fact I even noticed that the name of the new domain is not quite the same as it were.
6) If I do not do step 5) almost everything works although the client workstations don't see each other. By the way the event viewer found a netlogon error 5513 that says:
The computer PCNAME tried to connect to the server \\SERVERNAME using the trust relationship established by the SERVER_SRV domain. However, the computer lost the correct security identifier (SID) when the domain was reconfigured. Reestablish the trust relationship.
7) How to Reestablish the trust relationship.
Thanks in advance