I have never had this problem before in 15 years... and just can't finger it out...
I have a server I built that powers down at random intervels.
This is NOT I repeat NOT an OS issue.
This occurs in the BIOS setup, at a DOS prompt, inside win2k, etc.
Here's what I have done;
1. replaced MB
2. replaced power supply [two different ones]
3. tried with all combinations of 1/2 cpu's in both sockets
4. tried with all combinations of DIMMS 1,2,3,4 in all slots [possible anyway]
5. setup with the very BARE MINIMUM of components to start [MB+PS+1 DIMM + 1 CPU] and NOTHING else.
6. Flashed all of last three versions of BIOS
7. Monitored heat/fan speed/etc of all components via BIOS and OS Tyan hardware monitors and found nothing O.O.O...
based on 3 & 4 I find it hard to beleive that BOTH cpu's and all four DIMMS could have a problem that could cause this...
based on 1, 2 and 5, I'm not sure what else to try
Here's what the systems has [built];
1. Tyan Tiger MP 2468 MB
2. 2x AMD Athlon MP 1800+ cpu's
3. 4x Corsair Registered ECC 512Mb DDR266 DIMMs
4. Ci Designs 2100 2U server enclosure built for dual AMD + Tyan MB
5. EMACS P2G-6460P 450W PS for Ci2100/24 pin dual Athlon MB's [Tyan approved]
6. Mylex AcceleRAID 170 PCI
7. (4) Seagate Cheetah 36Gb 10k rpm SCA U160 HD in SCA trays on backplane
8. plugging power into different sources..[diff. ups's, different outlets, panels etc.]
500 points if you gimmie something I havent tried yet that works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!