RedHat 9 box with 2 NIC - Speedtouch Home (PPPoE) - how to setup ?
Posted on 2003-11-25
I read some similar or closely related articles about this kind of issue but I still can't make sense of it. I apologize for my lack of knowledge but I may use a hand here ... I hope my post will be clear and complete
I have a PC on which RedHat 9 is installed, I have two NIC, both correctly installed, eth0 and eth1. I want that box to act as an internet router and gateway for my LAN (with some Windows boxes), on which I plan to later set other things up, hopefully.
- I have a RJ45 running from eth0 (10.0.0.1) to my Speedtouch Home modem (10.0.0.138) and this has been configured using the PPPoE Redhat GUI wizard.
- So far I obtained a "WAN" IP from my provider through the PPP0 adapter
- if there is only one NIC, eth0, I get access to the internet.
- as soon as I add the eth1, it seems the system/routing doesnt know where to "go"/how to proceed ... so no more internet access
- my eth1 (10.0.0.2 or class C 192.168.0.1 maybe) is connected to a switch and I plan on building up my LAN with that eth1 as gateway
I suppose I should specify a route, but I'm completely lost on how to do that. The GUI is no help.
- How do I force traffic from eth1 through eth0 so that it goes through the PPP0 and vice-versa ?
- I suppose I could I have my eth1 LAN gateway set up using a different IP Class range (such as 192.168.0... ) and keep the eth0 with a Class A 10.0.0... range ?
- Do I have to keep the eth0 IP in the same range as the modem (which is by default 10.0.0.138) ?