Solved

Server applications only use up 50% of available CPU time

Posted on 2003-11-25
7
106 Views
Last Modified: 2010-04-14
I have a couple servers with multiple processors and recently the workload of those servers has gone up, however they don't seem to be working as hard as they could be.

A perfect example of this is when I try and do database updates with Microsoft Access.  I have Access running on the server itself as well as the database I am updating, but when I run large queries or updates the "total" processor power averages at 50%.  Sometimes it's lopsided with one CPU running at 90% and the other at 10%

I have tried running some of these applications in REALTIME, and I have noticed some improvement, but they are still not running at full power.  I do have the servers set to focus on background applications instead of foreground and thought that might have something to do with it, but wanted to make sure before I started changeing things.
0
Comment
Question by:swabeui
  • 2
  • 2
7 Comments
 
LVL 22

Expert Comment

by:Bartender_1
ID: 9819437
Hi swabeui,

>>they don't seem to be working as hard as they could be.
Is this the difficulty?
If this is what you are concerned about, don't worry. typically, I monitor the CPU usage to make sure it's not too high.
When it becomes too high, then I make changes to bring it back down. I see nothing wrong with your current configuration and the performance of your servers.
 
Hope this helps!

:o)

Bartender_1
0
 

Author Comment

by:swabeui
ID: 9819478
The problem is on certain tasks I want to happen faster in certain situations, such as a database update.  There are other instances (with terminal server) that users run database changes and the application will only use 5-10% of the CPU.  I usually have them cancel the task and I run it myself so it won't take 5-6 hours when it should take less then 30 minutes.
0
 

Author Comment

by:swabeui
ID: 10047578
Admins:

Please close this question.  My question was never answered.
0
 
LVL 22

Expert Comment

by:Bartender_1
ID: 10669533
Hmmmm..... I'm really dissappointed with the notifs. I don't recall receiving a notif from this question when swabeui posted back.

swabeui:

I'm sorry I never got back to you, and was unable to assist you with your difficulty, my notifs appear to be missing.

In response to your question about your database updates: Depending on how your database works, you will have to change the priority settings for the process that actually updates the database.

Alternatives: Create a script that runs at certain times, run it as yourself (to have the permissions) and set the priority to realtime, then have it update your database.

Depending on your Database, you could post a question here:http://www.experts-exchange.com/Databases/
 Someone there will most likely be able to assist you in your specific database needs.

Hope this points you in the right direction!

:o)

Bartender_1
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
PashaMod earned 0 total points
ID: 10705392
Closed, 250 points refunded.
PashaMod
Community Support Moderator
0

Featured Post

How your wiki can always stay up-to-date

Quip doubles as a “living” wiki and a project management tool that evolves with your organization. As you finish projects in Quip, the work remains, easily accessible to all team members, new and old.
- Increase transparency
- Onboard new hires faster
- Access from mobile/offline

Join & Write a Comment

NTFS file system has been developed by Microsoft that is widely used by Windows NT operating system and its advanced versions. It is the mostly used over FAT file system as it provides superior features like reliability, security, storage, efficienc…
In this article, I will show you HOW TO: Create your first Windows Virtual Machine on a VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.5 (ESXi 6.5) Host Server, the Windows OS we will install is Windows Server 2016.
Illustrator's Shape Builder tool will let you combine shapes visually and interactively. This video shows the Mac version, but the tool works the same way in Windows. To follow along with this video, you can draw your own shapes or download the file…
In this tutorial you'll learn about bandwidth monitoring with flows and packet sniffing with our network monitoring solution PRTG Network Monitor (https://www.paessler.com/prtg). If you're interested in additional methods for monitoring bandwidt…

707 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question

Need Help in Real-Time?

Connect with top rated Experts

18 Experts available now in Live!

Get 1:1 Help Now