I'm having a problem connecting an external Outlook 2000 client to my Exchange 2003 server. The Outlook client resides outside of my intranet. Connecting an Outlook 2000 client that resides within the intranet works fine.
The problems are as follows:
When I add the new service, Exchange, I'm prompted for the Microsoft Exchange server and the Mailbox from the General tab. I enter the appropriate information, click the Check Name button and am presented with a login dialog. I enter the correct information into the login dialog and press OK. Upon returning to the General tab, the Exchange server name and Mailbox are correctly identified. Everything seems to be OK at this point. Then I Exit and Log Off from Outlook and restart Outlook.
At this point, Outlook takes a long time (90 seconds) to start and does not prompt me for the login information. The new Mailbox folder and Public Folders show up on the Outlook hierarchy however, when I attempt to expand either of them, I receive the following error message: "Unable to expand the folder. The set of folders could not be opened. The information store could not be opened."
I have verified that Outlook Web Access is working correct both internally and externally from my intranet.
I have opened up all TCP and UDP ports on my modem from 1 to 32767.