Copy transaction logs while Information Store is running
Posted on 2003-12-06
I'm developing a migration procedure in our lab environment that entails transferring the priv and pub databases from one Windows 2000 forest to another. The lab testing proved to be positive with the following macro steps:
1. Dismount Info Store and copy priv and pub to alternate location
2. Copy to target forest and remount with overwrite from restore option
3. Export/import ou's and users in AD (using csvde with only required user attributes)
4. Launch MBCONN, select all new users, select action/preview
5. In Exchange System Manager reconnect all users and delete old built-in MB's.
6. Use Aelita Enterprise Migration Manager to import/merge all other user attributes including sIDHistory and password hash.
Now I'm experimenting with production systems to transfer the priv and pub. During the last maintenance window, we dismounted the stores and copied the priv and pub files.
This leads into my question. I didn't stop the Exchange Information Store service to commit transaction logs. Can I resolve this without stopping the service? I don't care if the database is incomplete, as it's for testing only. ESEUTIL tells me the database is inconsistent. I tried the recover and repair switches. Is there another utility to force consistency? Can I copy transaction logs while information store service is running, then run ESEUTIL?
Future thanks for any help on this.