Keep getting "HTTP 500 Internal Server Error" on my insert record page. Why?

As you can probably guess from the title, I'm trying to figure out why I keep getting an HTTP 500 Error whenever I try to insert a record into my Access 2000 database from my web page.

The database is writable as I can add / remove users, and modify other records. Basically I had a simple 2 field "Add News" page setup built in DreamWeaver MX. Title & Story were the fields. This worked fine. But I didn't feel like displaying a 3 paragraph news item on the home page, so I decided to add an "Introductory" field. This way only a small portion of the news is displayed, then the user clicks on then news item and it takes them to the "news.asp" page where the full story is displayed. I added the appropriate field to the table in the database and added an extra field in my form on the ASP page. I updated the "Insert Recordset" function to include the new field, and now my page gives me an HTTP 500 Error whenever I click the "Add News" button.

I'm including a link to a .txt with the code for the "add_news.asp" page. I have tried different database connection options as well.

Code: http://www.epic-graphics.com/instatel.ca/add_news.txt

To see the live example, go to: http://www.epic-graphics.com/instatel.ca/admin
Login: admin
Pass: admin

Thanks for any help!
Brian
BrianJHillAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

fritz_the_blankCommented:
I just tried it , and it seemed to work without error...

Fritz the Blank
0
fritz_the_blankCommented:
I also added a field with apostrophes and quotation marks, still seems fine.

Fritz the Blank
0
BrianJHillAuthor Commented:
yeah, I figured it out after I posted here on my own. I had some text field names on the page named with protected names like "title, date, etc..." and I also had a few of the table fields name similar, so all I did was rename the fields and it worked fine.

Thanks anyways.
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
C++ 11 Fundamentals

This course will introduce you to C++ 11 and teach you about syntax fundamentals.

Ryan ChongBusiness Systems Analyst , ex-Senior Application EngineerCommented:
try add in branket [] in your insert SQL statement as field names like date, name are reserved words.

like:

SQLstr = "insert into table1 ([name],[date]) values ('123', now()) "
0
Jimby_AusCommented:
This error description might be generated by Internet Explorer rather than the server.  If you go into Explorer Options and turn OFF "Show friendly HTTP error messages", you should be able to see the actual script error, to assist with debugging.

James.
0
fritz_the_blankCommented:
Well, if s/he feels that no one here was of help whatsoever....

FtB
0
YensidModCommented:
Asker found his own answer.  Question is PAQed and 135 points refunded.

YensidMod
Experts Exchange Moderator
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
ASP

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.