Word.Application in ASP.NET

This is a tough one and worth 500 points.  If you're not familiar with the Word.Application in .NET, stop reading now :)

Reference this article:
http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/wordapplication.asp

object fileName = "c:\\database\\test.doc";
object readOnly = false;
object isVisible = true;
object missing = System.Reflection.Missing.Value;
Word.ApplicationClass oWordApp = new Word.ApplicationClass();
Word.Document oWordDoc = oWordApp.Documents.Open(ref fileName,
                            ref missing,ref readOnly,
                            ref missing, ref missing, ref missing,
                            ref missing, ref missing, ref missing,
                            ref missing, ref missing, ref isVisible,
                            ref missing,ref missing,ref missing);

oWordDoc.Activate();
oWordApp.Selection.TypeText("This is the text");
oWordApp.Selection.TypeParagraph();
oWordDoc.Save();
oWordApp.Application.Quit(ref missing, ref missing, ref missing);

Now, the problem is that when my code is run on the Web server (works fine on my development machine), I get the following error:

Description: Command failed
Stack Trace: at Word.Documents.Open(Object& FileName, Object& ConfirmConversions, Object& ReadOnly, Object& AddToRecentFiles, Object& PasswordDocument, Object& PasswordTemplate, Object& Revert, Object& WritePasswordDocument, Object& WritePasswordTemplate, Object& Format, Object& Encoding, Object& Visible, Object& OpenAndRepair, Object& DocumentDirection, Object& NoEncodingDialog)

I am *absolutely* certain that the path to the document is correct (I tested that about 10 times already).  Also, the exact same version of word is running on both my development machine and the Web server v10.2627.3501 SP-1.  The ASP.NET account has full permissions on the opening-file in question.

In DCOMCNFG, the ASP.NET account was granted launch permissions on Microsoft Word Application.
LVL 2
SirCalebAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

rovermCommented:
Place the document in your webroot, then set the path to it and try again.
Then you'll be sure that your code is working ok on your webserver.
0
SirCalebAuthor Commented:
It doesn't matter where the document is located -- it doesn't work.  The document has full access permissions by "everyone" as well.

I updated my local and the Web server's version of Office to SP2 with all security updates as well.

Additionally, I cannot even create (on the server) a document using the simplest code (in VB.NET):

Dim WordApp As New Word.ApplicationClass
Dim WordDoc As Word.Document = WordApp.Documents.Add()
WordDoc.Activate()
WordApp.Selection.TypeText("This is the text")
WordApp.Selection.TypeParagraph()
WordDoc.SaveAs("c:\test.doc")
WordApp.Application.Quit()

This *should* create a new word document but instead it fails on line 3 because WordDoc = Nothing (on the Web server) ... works fine on my local machine.
0
rovermCommented:
Then it has to do something with userrights.
Did you try by creating a Word object using CreateObject?

Dim WordApp As Object = Server.CreateObject("word.application")
Dim WordDoc As Object = WordApp.documents.add

0
Learn Ruby Fundamentals

This course will introduce you to Ruby, as well as teach you about classes, methods, variables, data structures, loops, enumerable methods, and finishing touches.

SirCalebAuthor Commented:
roverm, I tried that.

I actually figured it out.  In dcomcnfg.exe, I set the Word Document Application to always run under the same account in the Identity Tab instead of the "Launching User" (ASP.NET) ... and that works.  So, it seems there was a hand-off at some point between ASP.NET and Interactive User or something bizarre causing the permissions issue.
0
rovermCommented:
So it was userrights after all!
Glad to see that it's solved.

Can you please close the question (now it's solved)?
Thanks!

D'Mzz!
RoverM
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
SirCalebAuthor Commented:
I'll just give you the points for the heck of it.
0
rovermCommented:
*lol*
That's not what I meant but thanks! I meant by closing that you asked CS to PAQ and refund.
But I like this as well! ;-)

D'Mzz!
RoverM
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft Development

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.