Posted on 2003-12-10
i've been an avid fan of redhat since 5.x...however lately i'm very disappointed on how they shifted their strategy from free distro(7.x, 8.0, 9) to commercial Enterprise redhat...and left us with the Fedora project.
my question is:
1. i'm finding ways of migrating my server to another distro, what would you recommend for my web, mail, dns..etc application server?
2. should i shift to BSD (OpenBSD, FReeBSD)?
3. Based on your answer above for question 1 & 2 (linux and BSD), what assurance would you give that it would not follow the same path as that of redhat (which is it will first let you taste its procuct, says its free then after you get to like it, it will then says it cost something)?
3. what is your opinion about REdhat move to Enterprise?
4. Is Fedora reliable, could i use it for my application server (web, mail, dns)?
5. What are other new developments with regards to open source, that somehow you will convince me or not to shift to commercial software (Windows)?