Win Explorer (XP) crashes when viewing folder containing Illustrator (.ai) files
Posted on 2003-12-11
I have a new installation of Windows XP with all service packs and critical updates applied.
I've also got Illustrator 10.0.3 freshly installed.
The problematic files are either on a Mac-accessible volume of a Windows fileserver or created on a mac or a combination of the two.
If I open a Windows Explorer window and navigate to any folder that contains .ai files, the following happens:
- the files list in the window
- icons for all files other than the .ai files show to the left of the file name
- "unrecognised" icons appear next to the .ai files (if there is more than one, sometimes the first will show and following ones not).
- Explorer crashes with the warning message: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" (closing this message also closes Explorer).
- Event Viewer gives the following message:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2800.1106, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x302f312f.
<Things already tried>
- viewing files on another XP PC (no problem - works fine)
- uninstalling / reinstalling Illustrator (no change)
- installing the Illustrator 10.0.3 update from the web
- running system file checker from a DOS prompt (no change)
- viewing the same folder with .ai files removed (WORKS OK)
- removing file association between .ai files and Illustrator, then reviewing the folder (WORKS OK - fails when association is re-established)
- removing original files and creating new .ai files in the same folder (these show okay)