We have access to a site which is somewhat protected by a certificate, which we can choose to add as trusted or not.
The only real difference is that we dont need push the accept button on the certificate each time we load the page.
Ofcourse we added the certificate to the machines which used the site frequently, but here is the problem.
The certificate went out of date, and the site blocked all access.
I removed the certificate from the trusted certificate store in IE and checked for any other occurances of this certificate (none was found).
I then added the new certificate into the trusted certificate store, but the site just seems to ignore this.
Removing the certificate does not improve the situation.
On the server side it seems that the server is asking for a certificate, getting some kind of answer which it doesnt like and tries again (and again into a loop) ..
Here is the strange part, this only happens on a few select machines, they do not differ in any way, not software, os or even updates to the os.
And it ofcourse does not happen to the machines which didnt have the certificate added to the trusted store.
I think that it might be that IE, is somewhat storing the certificate even if it is supposed to be removed.
And even supplying the site with the old certificate..
Anyways I am only rambling here as i dont really got a clue to what/where and how, but i hope that someone here has encountered this problem.
Windows XP SP1
Trym K. Bjerkan