Avatar of timokeeffe
timokeeffe asked on

Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors

I am getting error below when I try to pass an Order number(SDDOCO) field to my ASp page for view. any ideas how to work around this issue? I rerefence the aricle andthe Registry entry is there for SQLOLEDB which is waht I am using sql server 7. thouhgts??

Database Results Error
Description: Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done.
Number: -2147217887 (0x80040E21)
Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
Microsoft SQL Server

Avatar of undefined
Last Comment

8/22/2022 - Mon

Log in or sign up to see answer
Become an EE member today7-DAY FREE TRIAL
Members can start a 7-Day Free trial then enjoy unlimited access to the platform
Sign up - Free for 7 days
Learn why we charge membership fees
We get it - no one likes a content blocker. Take one extra minute and find out why we block content.
See how we're fighting big data
Not exactly the question you had in mind?
Sign up for an EE membership and get your own personalized solution. With an EE membership, you can ask unlimited troubleshooting, research, or opinion questions.
ask a question

sure it is used in the custom query section iof the Frontapage DRW:


How does the query perform is written as:


Anthony Perkins

Please maintain your many old open questions.  For the record:
1 11/06/2003 500 Julian Date Coversion  Open Microsoft FrontPage
2 11/10/2003 500 Julian Date Conversion - DB2 Export -> S...  Open Mysql
3 11/12/2003 500 NULL Table Values Not Displaying  Open Microsoft FrontPage
4 12/10/2003 500 Lgoin Security Issue  Open Active Server Pages (ASP)
5 03/08/2004 500 Convert Data Type from Numeric to Nchar  Open Microsoft SQL Server
6 03/19/2004 500 Major DB Error  Open Microsoft Access
7 03/22/2004 500 Security Filter at DB Level using OR sta...  Open Microsoft SQL Server
8 03/22/2004 500 Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated...  Open Microsoft SQL Server
9 09/18/2003 500 File System Object  Open Active Server Pages (ASP)
This is the best money I have ever spent. I cannot not tell you how many times these folks have saved my bacon. I learn so much from the contributors.

I'd love to be able to figure this one out, too. Using MySQL, we began seeing this error after installing the latest MyODBS drivers and updating to the l4.0.16 version of MySQL anytime we queried a record and tried to check a value of a TEXT (clob) field that was empty.

Damned frustrating.

The problem might be with the DSN set up. I had a similar issue and the problem was traced back to the DSN entry. The driver was set up as "Oracle Driver for Oracle 9i". Once it was changed to "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle", the application started working fine.

This problem was solved by us (using ASP with MySQL) by updating our Miscrosoft Data Access Components (MDAC).  The versions that are installed by default with Windows 2000 will cause these errors. We got them when trying to read a value from a CLOB/TEXT field that was empty after updating to the MyODBC v3.51 from the 2.x version, but I've heard similar stories from people using MS SQL and the MD ODBC drivers.

You can download the Microsoft MDAC latest version (2.8) from:

Note, that though this is the latest version, upon installing them you will note two things:
1) Instances causing those Multiple Step OLE DB Errors should go away (they did for us), and
2) You will get an update from the MS update site inviting you to apply a security patch to the MDAC components you just downloaded from the MS site, because they've been updated. :-/
Get an unlimited membership to EE for less than $4 a week.
Unlimited question asking, solutions, articles and more.