Solved

HEL..Error: A 'with' action failed because the specified object did not exist.

Posted on 2004-03-24
3
679 Views
Last Modified: 2008-01-09
What's the deal with this? here's what's going on. I have a movie called rotating Nav. In that movie i have other movies, that contain buttons in them, those buttons have the script to stop the main movie but it generates this error:

Error: A 'with' action failed because the specified object did not exist.

what's the deal with this?

here's what the fla looks like. Thanx all

********************
Stage >

rotatingNav>

pictureMovie> button  >

on (rollover){
    with (_root.rotatingNav){
          stop();
     }
}
***********************
0
Comment
Question by:engineroom
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
3 Comments
 
LVL 5

Accepted Solution

by:
zenlion420 earned 500 total points
ID: 10669315
is rotatingNav the instance name of that symbol, or just the symbol name?  That's generally the answer to these types of situations.  I can't tell you how many time I have forgotten to assign an instace name somewhere and have to dig through my work to find it.

j

BTW, what version of flash are you using?
0
 
LVL 3

Author Comment

by:engineroom
ID: 10669623
zenlion

I figured out what the problem was, i'll give you the points. What happend was that i was fading in the movie and gave an instance name to the last keyframe and not the first. Apparently it doesn't count when you name the last key frame and not the first. I.E.:

__________________________
:-------------------------------->:
__________________________

no                                         rotatingNav
Instance
Name

I had to do this:

__________________________
:-------------------------------->:
__________________________

rotatingNav                           rotatingNav

Thanx for your help.
0
 
LVL 5

Expert Comment

by:zenlion420
ID: 10670207
No problem.  That's exactly what I figured the issue was.  I'll tell you something I've gotten in the habit of - naming every instance of every symbol I put on the stage, even if it's not going to be a component of a scripted event.  That way, it just helps keep me from having to go through a project searching for a missed name, which can be a really big chore if it's a large project.  Anyway, I'm glad it working now.

j
0

Featured Post

Technology Partners: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

I come across a lot of question about how to access things in the document class from a movieclip, or accessing something from a movieclip in the document class. It took me a while to figure this out but once I did it makes life so much easier. …
Sometimes you know that one object has a specific child in it, but you can't find the child. This happened to me when I was trying to code some actionScript to make a toolbar work with its embedded buttons.  My partner had created the toolbar usi…
The goal of the tutorial is to teach the user how to how to load their YouTube profile onto Flash Media Live Encoder.
The goal of the tutorial is to teach the user how to set there setting in Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder and YouTube for optimal video and audio quality.

687 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question