InfoMaker chops off Long Character fields

We have an ASA 8.02 database hosted on WIn2K server.  The database is used by our ERP software.  The software vendor recently changed several note fields to "long VarChar".  With the ERP app, we can enter & retrieve lengthly notes in the new fields.

We use InfoMaker 8 to create custom reports.  The problem we're having is that when InfoMaker fetches the field, it seems to only get the first 100 or so bytes of text.   We use ODBC to connect to the database.  When I connect using the ERP app, or Excel, or WinSQL, or Crystal Reports (all through ODBC) the entire contents of the field are returned, so I'm lead to believe that the problem is with InfoMaker.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
LVL 17
BudDurlandAsked:
Who is Participating?
 
NetminderConnect With a Mentor Commented:
User resolved; points (250) refunded and question closed.

Netminder
Site Admin
0
 
namasi_navaretnamCommented:
Within datawindow, you will need to increase that char limit of the corresponding fields. In addtion enable 'auto resize' property to true on the datawindow field itself and the detail band.

regards-
0
 
namasi_navaretnamCommented:
Also if using stored procedure make sure TEXTSIZE OPTION is set to a higher value or zero as the default.

SET TEXTSIZE     Specifies the maximum size (in bytes) of text or image type data to be returned with a select statement. The @@textsize global variable stores the current setting. To reset to the default size (32K), which is also the maximum setting, use the command:

set textsize 0

I am assuming that data is retrieved but not displayed because char limit property has not been increased on datawindow field. But setting 'auto resize' property on band and field is also important.

regards-
0
Receive 1:1 tech help

Solve your biggest tech problems alongside global tech experts with 1:1 help.

 
BudDurlandAuthor Commented:
This is not a PowerBuilder datawindow; it's an InfoMaker report.
0
 
namasi_navaretnamCommented:
Yes. But the same idea applies.

Click on the report field. Select Edit tab from the Properties pane. You will see limit property. You can increase the Limit to match the table definition.

Regards-
0
 
BudDurlandAuthor Commented:
I had tried seting all the character size limits I could find before askign the question, do no avail.

I did, however, find the answer.  Dropping the field from the report, and removing it from the SQL SELECT statement took care of the problem.  It didn't work on the first try though --  I had to remove the field, saved the report, restart Infomaker, then re-add the field
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.