Rsync Server -> Windows Client PC -> Scheduler and GUI for backup?
Posted on 2004-03-29
Scenario <The idea>
On Backup Server
1. Fedora Core server deployed with 3 units 120GB hard disk in Raid 5 mode - default minimal install - main purchase is to function as a data backup server
2. RSYNC installed and running as a daemon
3. Create users, each assigning particular quota
(b) On Windows Client PCs / Notebooks
1. GUI frontend so that the users can select folders to backup, frequency of backup i.e hours, days, weeks etc
2. Additional options include where to put these backup i.e server LAN IP address, user login id, user login password
3. Simple user interface for restore from the Linux Rsync Server
During backups, files from Windows Client PCs / Notebooks are RSYNCed over to the Fedora server via SSH
Question: Do you know how I can get this running? I *should* be able to handle the server RSYNC with the user quotas but if you are able to provide me with a step-by-step that would be great. But the main question is how and where can I get the GUI on the windows PCs and notebooks? Please advise.