Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
?
Solved

Tomcat 4.1.24 CoyoteConnector Stops responding

Posted on 2004-03-31
3
Medium Priority
?
804 Views
Last Modified: 2010-03-17
During high volume usage Tomcat's CoyoteConnector stops responding. WHY?

I have a web site that gets about 500,000 page views/day. The current architecture is on Win2K Server Tomcat 4.1.24 + mod_jk 1.2.4 + Apache 1.3.28. During the peak times of the usage the Coyote Connector stops responding, and I cannot find the reason. Driving me mad.
I know that tomcat is not crashing because the process is still alive and it also responds to the calls made thru port 8080 the http connector.
I also know that it is not the database that causes the error, because I have other app servers that can use the database.
I think the problem is not caused by running out of threads since the same problem occurs even when the maxProcessors is set to an absurd number like 9000.
I am sure that the bottleneck is not apache, because even though I open up the connector to accept connections from all IP addresses, when the connector stops responding and apache starts giving 500 errors, I cannot connect to the port 8009. Therefore, I am pretty sure the source of the problem is in the Connectors. WHY?!?!? PLEASE HELP!

The current connector configuration:
   <Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector"
               address="127.0.0.1" port="8009" minProcessors="50" maxProcessors="1256"
               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
               acceptCount="300" debug="0" connectionTimeout="20000"
               useURIValidationHack="true"
               protocolHandlerClassName="org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler" />

PS: I also tried to have 4 of these connectors running from different ports with modjk loadbalancing, however, they all go down one by one.
0
Comment
Question by:laylaylilom
3 Comments
 
LVL 9

Accepted Solution

by:
vzilka earned 500 total points
ID: 10748906
I saw this problem before.
To my understanding it is related to the Apache AJP13 connector, but from the Tomcat side.
It is somehow related to passing a parameter in the HTTP header/cookie that is a defined keyword.
I can't find this in the Tomcat bugbase, but I think it is solved in Tomcat 5.
Is upgrade an option?

Also, try to increase the log level of Tomcat and Apache, to see if you can find any info.
0

Featured Post

Veeam and MySQL: How to Perform Backup & Recovery

MySQL and the MariaDB variant are among the most used databases in Linux environments, and many critical applications support their data on them. Watch this recorded webinar to find out how Veeam Backup & Replication allows you to get consistent backups of MySQL databases.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Convert websphere application server default chained Certificates from 1024 to 2048 keysize or higher size and also you can change signatureAlgorithm . Please make sure Websphere Application Server fixpack 7.0.0.23 or Above. The following steps a…
Meet the world's only “Transparent Cloud™” from Superb Internet Corporation. Now, you can experience firsthand a cloud platform that consistently outperforms Amazon Web Services (AWS), IBM’s Softlayer, and Microsoft’s Azure when it comes to CPU and …
This course is ideal for IT System Administrators working with VMware vSphere and its associated products in their company infrastructure. This course teaches you how to install and maintain this virtualization technology to store data, prevent vuln…
Exchange organizations may use the Journaling Agent of the Transport Service to archive messages going through Exchange. However, if the Transport Service is integrated with some email content management application (such as an anti-spam), the admin…

963 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question