OK, so I set up an architecture to archive our iNotes users (and Notes users') mailfiles a long time ago.
- archiving is done on the server, every night, using compact -a
- archiving is enforced using policies, no local archiving is allowed, all archiving is done on the (home)mailserver
- apart from the obvious rules, I've added 1 to archive all documents in a specific folder, where people can drag-and-drop / copy-to-folder documents into, so they are archived at night. This gives the possibility to all our users (iNotes in particular) to determine themselves what documents should be archived. There is to my knowledge, no other way in iNotes or Webmail to allow people to choose which documents to archive (there is no Mark Expired action, no Archive Selected, etc). Because you can use the copy-to-folder commands in the Notes client and webmail, you retain your original folder structure, in your archive too.
Now the problem - I recall this worked for our iNotes users too , but since some time (since upgrade to 6.0.3), this doesn't work as expected any more. Webmail works as expected, though !
A Copy-to-folder command in iNotes actually creates a *real* copy of the document, instead of adding the original document to that folder ! This blows bigtime !
So the question(s) in no particular order :
- can anybody confirm that in previous versions of iNotes, the copy-to-folder does the same as in the Notes client (meaning NOT creating a duplicate document)
- can anybody suggest an alternative way of archiving-on-demand on server for my iNotes users
- can anybody say if it's doable to change the behaviour of the copy-to-folder commands in iNotes (I'd say 'no')
I'll award more points for briljant suggestions :-)