I have two laptop computers that i am trying to network together via a crossover cable. One is running win xp and has a built in ethernet connection (Realtek RTL8139 C+ Fast Ethernet NIC), and the other is running win me and has a Microsoft Broadband Networking notebook adapter (pc card) that installed fine without any complications. The problem occured when I plugged in the crossover cable for the first time. The adapter showed a link but my laptop running windows me stopped responding (no response with mouse pointer and keyboard keystrokes, incluing ctrl, alt, del). The xp machine has no problems and displays that there is a network connection.
- switching the cable around
- unistalling and reinstalling adapter and software
- booting up with cable connected
- using the adapter in safe mode
- installing pc card with cable attached
but none of this has worked.
What can I do?