Solved

Erratic conduct of browsing over internet with a dsl moden and a router

Posted on 2004-04-06
5
262 Views
Last Modified: 2010-03-17
Hi there, I hope you can help me figure out a solution for this annoying problem. I have the following setup: 256 kbps>>dsl modem>>SMC router>>switch>>7 PCs. The machines work fine when it comes to downloading files and information. But  the browsing is very erratic. Some pages wont show and if they do they lack elements (package loss maybe?). Others open very quickly and others just wont open at all.  At first the problem seemed to be caused by a communication mismatch between the router and the NICs on the computer. I manually set the NICs to 100 Fullduplex and the problem seemed to dissapear for one or two days. I realize the setup must be the same on the router port and the NICs but there is no way for me to verify the router port configuration. The thing is my LAN started working beautifully for a while but then dropped again. Again, the downloading has no problem, but the browsing is back to normal (that is lousy). When I connect the dsl modem directly to a computer the problem dissapears and when I connect to the internet using the router and a dialup connection using a different modem the machine works fine (except for the constant disconnecting).  Could the problem be between the router and the modem? I tried resetting the router a few times to no avail. All the machines have the 100 fullduplex configuration. This is the second SMC router I buy. The other one went to warranty. It seems the latest firmware is somehow defective (according to the technician) and there is no way to go back to the default version. I reaaly doubt this one is defective. Any idea pleasssee. This is killing me.
Thanks
0
Comment
Question by:Jewels1
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
5 Comments
 
LVL 11

Expert Comment

by:infotrader
ID: 10767727
Try setting the MaximumMTU of the router to 1492.  DSL with PPoE tends to add an extra 8 bits for PPoE authentication, thus making it 1508 if you don't change it.  This happens A LOT to DSL connections.  Although it might not be your problem, it is certainly a good practice regardless.

- Info
0
 

Author Comment

by:Jewels1
ID: 10779309
Thanks infotrader. Done. I had some of the machines connected to the switch, while other were directly connected to the router. It occured to me that the duplex configuration of both devices could be different, so I connected them all to the switch to make sure everything went on 100 full duplex. The thing got better. I am using Pingplotter to monitor the performance on the network right now. So far the browsing is quite acceptable on all the machines (except for a few pages that will simply not show on screen). The problem is when I make a download. Ping time goes from a fairly acceptable 100ms to 700-1000ms. I am not doing multiple downloads on the network. Just one. I/m puzzled. Any idea? tnx
0
 
LVL 4

Expert Comment

by:dean_dodd
ID: 10846718
Try running this tweak test from one of the computers

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

It may give a indication to your problem.
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
modulo earned 0 total points
ID: 11090360
A request has been made in Community Support to close this question:

http:Q_20992007.html 

In that question the found solution is posted:
====================================================================
I modified the DNS on my router according to the ORSC web page (http://support.open-rsc.org/.servers/) and this solved the erratic behavior on my network.
Thank you
====================================================================

If there are no objections, a moderator will finalise this question after 4 days by:

- PAQ-ing the question and refunding 500  points

Please leave any recommendations here.

modulo

Community Support Moderator
Experts Exchange
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Path Explorer

An intuitive utility to help find the CSS path to UI elements on a webpage. These paths are used frequently in a variety of front-end development and QA automation tasks.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

Title # Comments Views Activity
new internet service - sonicwall setup 2 127
UK internal phone cable v Cat 6e cable - Part 2 6 124
Prioritize SIP traffic on Cisco Router 6 137
Cisco Access point 6 107
Cable Modem Provisioning from DPoE compliant server  This Article is to support CMTS administrators to provide an overview of DOCSIS compliance configuration file, and to provision a cable modem located at customer place from a Back office serve…
Sometimes you have to pull out old tricks to get a new firewall to work… While we were installing a new Sonicwall at a customers site we found that sites they were able to visit before were not working.  It seemed random and we could not understa…
How to Install VMware Tools in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 (RHEL 6.4) Step-by-Step Tutorial
Exchange organizations may use the Journaling Agent of the Transport Service to archive messages going through Exchange. However, if the Transport Service is integrated with some email content management application (such as an antispam), the admini…

738 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question