I currently have a user that is in need of backing up a few select directories on their laptop. The contents of these directories will change fairly frequently (new files and modifications to existing files)
I am interested in finding a backup software that will do/allow the following:
1) Will support Directory backups (i.e not based on the contents, just the directory - whatever is here goes approach) Comparison backups may not be a major ordeal as the user will probably burn a new CD each time.
2) Easy to use, but professional appearance would be nice. (unfortunately I have seen some programs that really look as though they are designed for nothing more than teenagers to burn their downloaded mp3s.)
3) Compatible with Windows XP and supports burning to a CDR-W possibly as DVD-R.
4) Does not compress the data into a proprietary filesystem. For example, Windows backup places everything in a .BKF file. I prefer to have the data readable from any machine. (Straight file copy. If the program supports compression that's fine, but I want the option to not compress.)
5) Allows the user to schedule when to back the data up. Two things in mind with this. The first being that it will notify the user if the media is not available (i.e. they didn't have a burnable CD in the drive) and that the memory resident scheduler isn't a resource hog. Also, scheduling multiple backups may be an excellent addition too. For example, every week it backs the data up to a network drive, then once a month it backs the data from the network drive to a CD ROM, etc. FYI this is on a peer-to-peer network, so stand alone is the best approach, but having the flexibility may be beneficial.
I'm currently looking at BackUp MyPC from Stomp (Formerly called Backup Exec Desktop by Veritas).
I am going to download the demo of this and check out the available options. Does anyone have any experience with this, good or bad?
I realize there's a lot of requests here. The software doesn't need to be a 100% match, but the better the match, the more help it will be.
Thanks in advance,