"Shotgun" ethernet (using two cards at once)

I would like to set up a machine that can use 2  ethernet cards at the same time to access the internet in order to distribute the workload.  I know this was done once with modems a couple of years back, but I would like to do it with ethernet.  Dont worry about Operating systems, I will set up anything that can use it.  Dont worry about the connections either, if I get this working, I will be using it at home with a DSL and a cable modem.  I also plan on using it at work so I can have a file server provide more than the simple 100mb connection.  If you have an answer let me know, no matter how complicated it seems.... as long as it works, I wont care.

Who is Participating?
CNixConnect With a Mentor Commented:
I think this is what you looking for, just click on the link below and that should tell you exactly what to do to achieve network adapters load balancing on Windows.


Hope this help,
pseudocyberConnect With a Mentor Commented:
For home, I doubt you're going to get the performance you expect.  What's the point of having 2 100Mb NIC's "load balancing" when your two Internet feeds are <2Mb each?  It's not the NICs holding you up.

At work, if you have multiple clients hitting one server, yes, load balancing may help.  However, if it's server to server, load balancing won't help because of the way that most implementations choose which connection to use - between servers A and B they ALWAYS choose the same port/NIC.

It's a lot easier on a server - if you're using Wintel, M$ has some OS/Hardware loadbalancing (ugh) - HP/Compaq has NIC teaming.
WinXPFixRAuthor Commented:
At home I would have 2 separate connections, one 500k cable, and one 1.5mb DSL... I cant connect one ethernet card into both, so one into each would still give me a better connection than just one NIC.

I have tried the RegHack, but it doesnt look like it is working, but I am still testing it, thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Never miss a deadline with monday.com

The revolutionary project management tool is here!   Plan visually with a single glance and make sure your projects get done.

Fatal_ExceptionConnect With a Mentor Commented:
I use a Dual Wan router for my 2 lines (cable + SDSL)..  In fact, here is the product I am currently using:


Bandwidth throttling, Stateful Inspection Firewall, and a lot of other add-ons that you should ck out..

Maybe this would help:  http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=589

Quote:  "Features dual Internet ports for load balancing and connection redundancy"
PennGwynConnect With a Mentor Commented:
Having two Internet connections -- DSL + cable -- means having two IP addresses, probably through different providers.  Load balancing between them is *NOT* going to be trivial.

The closest working thing to it I can suggest is to make the slower one the default route, and add a (that's a network AND MASK of to the faster connection's gateway.  So you'll get to about 55% of Internet destinations via the faster connection and the remaining 45% via the slower.

Again, easier to purchase the Dual Wan router..   You can actually stipulate line usage with these...   via load balancing...   Why reinvent the wheel..??
This question needs to be closed out, unless you have a reason to leave it open.  If you would, please accept one of the experts comments, or split the points if more than one expert helped you.  If you do not know how to do this, please go here for help:

How do I close a question?

Closing Questions


Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.

All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.