Dell Optiplex GX1 450Tbr+ failure at powerup
Posted on 2004-04-14
I am tearing my head apart over this... :(
I was trying to fix a friend of mines computer (DELL Optiplex GX1 450Mhz) and it hangs at BIOS bootup. Just when under 25% of the progressbar is completed and it doesn't give any error message. The thing was that it was infected by a virus and I thought I would repair it by reinstalling the OS.
I have tried the following:
- Several restarts, same thing.
- Lifted out and put in the CPU (with nescessary reboots inbetween)
- Lifted out the memory, one by one, with restarts
- Disconnected the HDD and CDRom
- Lifted out the battery to reset bios (it worked one time, but at next restart it hanged at the same location)
- Lifted out and changed the jumpers on the mainboard.
Does anybody have any more ideas? cause I don't.... =(
The strange thing was that once when I was testing it, it worked and booted up, but when I pressed the reset button (beacuse I wanted it to boot from the cd) it hanged at the same place. Bios revision is A07 and the computer is from sep 1999.
Thanks in advance...