HELP! - Exchange 5.5 - MULTIPLE problems - No external email - crashes - Store.exe taking up CPU
Posted on 2004-04-19
Running NT 4.0.1381
Exchange 5.5 (sp4? last good was sp3)
Our exchange server went down this weekend. I first noticed the issue when I tried to access the online web email, which failed (OWA was unable to open the folders, etc). Here are the chain of events:
1. I noticed that IMS, MTA and NAV were shut down. So I rebooted the server and the firewall (running ISA 2k) and they wouldn't startup.
2. Trying to manually start IMS gave me this error number: 4294965485. An online search for this error told me to remove (not delete, so I moved the files) both edb.chk files, then attempt to restart the services.
3. Trying to start the services gave me this new error: 1011. Another online search told me to run isinteg -patch to fix the system. New edb.chk files were created
4. It appeared to work as I was able to access my inbox, but a few things were inconsistent. For one, it says that I have (2) new mail messages, but there are no unread messages in my Email. Another issue is that it would not send/receive emails to external domains. Internal Emails were working.
5. It went down again the next day. I noticed that error id 4117 was showing up in the logs for exchange. Microsoft's online website suggested an update to sp4 (I was running sp3).
6. I stopped all exchange services and attempted to update to sp4. The installation craps out on a number of .dlls and .asp files, which I initially aborted, but on the second try, I Ignored all occurrences to completion. Exchange now says that it's sp4, but I'm confident it didn't install correctly.
7. I ran isinteg -patch again after the attempted sp4 update, which ran, and I was able to access inboxes again, but it was still inconsistent. Email was like this until sometime last night, when it went down again and nothing was accessible.
8. Today, we're down again. I noticed that store.exe is taking up close to 100% of the CPU cycles and is slowing down the entire system. I can't seem to stop it. I've attempted to stop all exchange services, but even though it says they're not running, I think they are (store.exe is running... an attempt to stop Exchange System Attendant is failing b/c the other services appear to be running, but according to Services, they are not).
HELP! Our Email is being backed up at our provider, but as of right now, nobody has access to Email.
Thanks in advance,