Redhat Linux 9: .bashrc & .bash_profile
Posted on 2004-04-23
(1) What is the purpose of the .bashrc file? When and how do I use it?
(2) In .bashrc file, what does the following mean...
if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
(3) What is the purpose of the .bash_profile file? When and how do I use it?
(4) In .bash_profile, what does the following mean...
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
(5) If I do env, I get a list of environmental variables -- where are these variables stored?...I thought that this would be stored in .bashrc or .bash_profile but they don't seem to have anything related.
(6) In a nutshell, what do the following environment variables mean...
(if you don't have time for this last question, pointing me at a good source will work just as fine).
Thank you very much for your time!