How to fill out a PDF form containing predefined field's and field names with Access?
Posted on 2004-04-24
Development environment: Adobe 5 & 6, XP Pro, Access 2000, Access XP. Access 2003, Word XP, Word 2003
Distribution target: Windows 98 through Windows XP, Access XP through Access 2003, Acrobat (latest ver.), 17" monitors at minimum 800x600 resolution
Currently have been filling out Word documents from Access but want to switch to PDF's for more reliable print output (margin control, driver issues, etc.). I have been browsing the Exchange knowledge base but I am confused if :
1. Do I need a third party API for the Adobe PDF's or is there an Access tool?
2. Do I need full Adobe on each and every PC using the Access Form Filler or can they just have Acrobat?
3. Not being a database programmer, do I need to fill each field from database to form field (i.e. set Custname_PDF to CustName_db) or is there a more elegant (easier) way to sweep over a group of fields from the database to all the existing fields in the form given the field names are exact matches ?
4. If a new PDF is created (perhaps using an API for PDF's), will I enounter an issue with the need to delete the last created pdf (with fields filled in) each time I recreate the new PDF?
5. Do I have some type of returned flag or boolean for successfull_ print?
Sorry for all the questions but I am under the gun with a very demanding customer and few programming resources available.