Cisco Catalyst CMS
Posted on 2004-04-26
I recently picked up a project halfway through - in looking at the Win2K DHCP server leases at our remote location I saw one client that looked a bit different than the rest - I was not sure what it was so I port scanned it and found 80 was open on it - went to it via a browser and it turns out it is the Cisco 48 port catalyst switch at the location and I can access it and manage it via the CMS web gui - when i try to telnet to it, it tells me that is enabled but no password is set - I have a few issues here:
1. All of our switches are set up in unmanaged mode, except our GBIC aggregator as it does all the Vlans - since this is a remote site might it be a good idea to leave in managed mode?
2. Which is recommended - using the CMS or the command line? I am much more familiar with the command line.
3. How would I set a password via CMS so I can now telnet to the switch and use command line?
4. It concerns me that this switch is somehow getting an IP via DHCP - I would prefer it to be static. How can I tell which port / interface on the switch is getting the IP via DHCP in the CMS?
5. Is there anything above that I must be on site to do? As I stated before this is a remote location with no IT staff.