Automate Server Backups to DVD
Posted on 2004-04-28
Our small office network is served by a Windows 2000 Server with Exchange Server. This machine contains a DVD burner that we use for regular backups. So far, this has been a manual chore, but I am sure it should be possible to automate the whole thing.
Here's what we want:
1. There's a number of shares on the server that all need to be backed up entirely - each backup should include all new files and folders created under these shares as well as the modified old files and folders
2. A number of specific large files that are continually updated should be included in the backup; these files are in a folder with other files that do *not* need to be backed up
3. Before backing up, the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service should be shut down
4. After backing up, this service should be restarted
5. On Mon thru Thur, incremental backups to DVD-RW
6. On Fri, complete backups to DVD-R
All I want to have to do is configure the above backup schedule and slide in the correct DVD-R(W) every day.
What is a good approach to this problem?
PS: We have Nero 6 OEM on the server (came with the DVD burner) but this does not include the BackItUp utility. The Windows Backup utility will not write to DVD.