After Upgrading to Win98SE can't connect to Internet
Posted on 2004-04-28
Upgraded a Compaq Presario which had Windows 98 (1st Ed.) and Internet Explorer 6 to the "newer" Windows 98SE. Since the upgrade everything is working much better EXCEPT it is impossible to connect to the internet. Here is what I have already done:
1. Updated the drivers for both the Cable Modem and Dial-up modem. Can't connect with either modem.
2. Tried to use the Internet Connection Wizard. It would not work.
3. Fixed the IE6 Connect Wizard with IE6 repair. Ran Connection Wizard successfully but still can't connect.
4. Installed Netscape 7.1 from CD. Netscape can not connect with either modem.
5. Tried to uninstall IE6, it won't uninstall.
6. Tried to reinstall IE6 from the C:\Windows\Windows Update Setup Files directory. Midway through this IE6 reinstall, it wants to connect to the Internet for new files (obviously it can't).
Since I can't connect to the Internet, I can't download IE6 from scratch. Does anyone have any suggestions?