Can't enter "Add/Remove Programs" - AND - Internet Explorer changes my homepage
Posted on 2004-04-29
My Windows 2000 SP4 PC has two problems at this moment:
1) When I try to open "Add and Remove Programs" at the Control Panel, a blank window appears, and the title bar of this window says "res://sp3res.dll/default.hta"
2) When I open Internet Explorer, a "generic" Search page appears. The address bar says "about:blank" and these webpage doesn't have a "name" (ie yahoo, google, etc); it just says "Search for..." and below there are many category links for navigation. No matter how many times I change the homepage to any other one, when I close IE and open it again, that home page is opened again.
Is there a connection bwtween these two cases? Is this because of a virus, a spyware, any other thing?
These are the solutions I've tried so far:
1) Ran Ad-aware, it discovered a few objects and removed them.
2) From Start Menu---> Run I ran the following line:
3) From Start Menu---> Run I ran the following line:
rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt
4) From Start Menu---> Run I ran the following line:
5) I ran the win2k CD and chose the Repair Installation option (from the blue "dos-like" screen at the begginning of the Wizard).
None of these methods have solved my problem(s)
PD: too bad I can't upload screenshots to illustrate my cases :(