Solved

Replace function not working in MS Access 2000

Posted on 2004-04-29
3
5,424 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-04
I have encountered this problem before and have only a sketchy idea about its causes/resolution.

I use the Replace(string, string, string, param, param, param) funtion as part of a calculated expression in a control source of a text box in an MS Access 2000 report.

It works just fine on 8 out of 9 workstations.  

On one workstation, however, it acts as if Replace is not a valid function name - prompting for a value as if "Replace" was an unknown field or parameter when the report is opened.

My on-site technical contact ( I work remotely from the deployment site ) resolved this issue on another machine seemingly by installing updated VB 6 dlls.  However, he assures me that he has done the same and that all references (in Access VBA code design) on both a working machine and the non-working one are the same, all patches and updates have been applied.

The machines on site are Win 98.  (My development and test machines are Win XP Pro and Win 2000 Pro).

I tried with and without $ sign - "Replace(...)" and "Replace$(...)"  

I also tried adding in the 3 final, optional parameters - Replace(string, string, string, 1, -1, 1)

Any ideas?

Thanks, Jeff
0
Comment
Question by:jturin
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
3 Comments
 
LVL 50

Accepted Solution

by:
Steve Bink earned 50 total points
ID: 10951887
I know the Replace function is found in VBE6.DLL.  The default installation path for this file is:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA6\VBE6.DLL

Have you compared versions?
0
 
LVL 57
ID: 10952667
<<Any ideas?>>

 Check references.  Open a module in design view on one of the problem stations, then click tools/references.  Look for any listed as MISSING or BROKEN.  If so you'll need to find out why.  If none are, do the following:

1. Check any unchecked reference
2. Close the module and save
3. Close the database and exit Access
4. Reopen and uncheck the reference just checked.
5. Compile (should be clean) and save and exit.

Jim.
0
 

Author Comment

by:jturin
ID: 11100427
I ended up manually replacing the vb6e.dll file after uninstalling and reinstalling did not resolve the problem.  The manual replacement worked.

Thanks - Jeff
0

Featured Post

Simplifying Server Workload Migrations

This use case outlines the migration challenges that organizations face and how the Acronis AnyData Engine supports physical-to-physical (P2P), physical-to-virtual (P2V), virtual to physical (V2P), and cross-virtual (V2V) migration scenarios to address these challenges.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

A simple tool to export all objects of two Access files as text and compare it with Meld, a free diff tool.
As tax season makes its return, so does the increase in cyber crime and tax refund phishing that comes with it
In Microsoft Access, learn how to use Dlookup and other domain aggregate functions and one method of specifying a string value within a string. Specify the first argument, which is the expression to be returned: Specify the second argument, which …
With Microsoft Access, learn how to specify relationships between tables and set various options on the relationship. Add the tables: Create the relationship: Decide if you’re going to set referential integrity: Decide if you want cascade upda…

733 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question