I'm managing a small company with offices in CA and NJ. Running Windows Server 2003 and Exchange 2003 in LA where main domain is hosted (COMPANY) LA servers are (mailNAME) and (mainNAME). NJ office had been running 2000 platform until February 2004 when we did a full back up, strip down and re-install to upgrade to Exchange 2003 and Server 2003, during which we renamed the server and email server from (mailNJ) to (NJcom) and (NJname) to (NJ). Time well spent with no major issues (miraculously) fortunately. Or so I thought. We haven't had to add any new users since then, but now we have several new employees and are unable to create e-mail user accounts for them at the LA office on the LA 2003 Exchange Server. We can walk through all the steps to create the new user accounts but after we complete the configuration the new users don't appear and the e-mail addresses vanish. I've manually 'pushed' the RUS and set it to run hourly over the past few weekends just to see if there was an issue there, but no luck. Haven't delved into it much further than that as it hasn't been a pressing issue until now, because the new employees are arriving in the coming week. Did we miss a step somewhere in the renaming of the NJ domain(s) that has blown out our RUS? We've got loads of error messages that seem to be coming from the WINS database looking for the old NJ names and we're taking the steps to walk through that as well, but that's an aside - and will probably be another question posted in the near future.
We are considering renaming the LA domain names to simplify the configuration overall and I'm interested in investigating the 2003 Domain Rename tool - but first I would like to get those new email accounts set up. My on site tech guy in LA wants to do a back up, strip down and re-install and rename but I'm thinking that's like cutting off your arm because you have a hang nail. I'm just arriving at this company full time after being a consultant for the past few months and I want to nail this one down pretty quickly. And I knew this would be the place to turn.
I don't feel lost yet but my main issue is the fact that I'm not right there on site and need to be able to give my tech in LA the step by step procedures and a heads up on what error messages to look for to guide us through retroactive logic to the root cause of the problem. And so here I am.
I'm sure there are a boatload of details I need to provide but I hope this enough to get the ball rolling!