Backup is failing, SCSI errors in event viewer
Posted on 2004-08-02
My environment is:
dual AMD 1900+ cpu, 1 Gig RAM, Tyan Thunder K7 motherboard, 3com Gig etherlink card, 3 adaptec ultra160 SCSI cards (model 31960), 3 Exabyte VXA-1 autoloader 1X15 tape libraries with 2 tape drives in each, and 1 adaptec AhA-2940U2W ultra SCSI card connected to Qualstar 4220 tape library, retrospect 6.5 and windows 2003.
The 31960 Ultra160 cards have one channel each connected to 1 exabyte autoloader. I have bought new SCSI cables that are 1M and each tape library has a terminator which is functional and attached.
The 31960 cards are where my problem lies. I am getting eventID 15 The device, \Device\Chang, is not ready for access yet and event ID 11 (source adpu160m) The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\adpu160m3 <-the 3 is any of the drives 1, 2 or 3 but not a consistent drive.
Here is what I have tried and it is still failing:
1. updated the 31960 cards to the latest bios (if I remember correctly it is 3.1)
2. in the SCSI bios, I set the transfer rate to 80 to match my drives
3. changed the cabling so that all are connected with 1M new cables
4. checked for new drivers (I am running windows 2003 and the latest is on the cd)
5. took out the AHA-2940U2W and one of the 31960 cards and connected the libraries to independant channels on the 2 31960s that are still in the system and removed the gig ethernet card---still NO luck so I put the Gig etherlink card back but left the other 2 cards out of the system
6. set the exabyte SCSI IDs to point to the library first IE each exabyte library is set so that the library is SCSI ID 3, tape drive 1 is SCSI ID 4 and tape drive 2 is SCSI ID 5
7. I have also tried setting the transfer rate to 10, but the results were the same as it was at 80 so I set it back to 80.
8. installed the latest motherboard bios version 2.14
9. disabled the windows 2003 device driver for the exabyte drives (as suggested by exabyte support)-at least I am not getting SCSI errors on qic157 anymore after this.
10. changed the config on the exabyte drives to 7 which makes the libraries report exb-210 instead of spectra215 (got the same errors so set it back to the default of spectr-215).
The ONLY thing I feel like I haven't done is install the ASPI from adaptec (mainly because I didn't know how that would affect my system running windows 2003 when adaptec is advertising the ASPI for windows 2000 but not for windows 2003).
If anyone has had this kind of problem and has any information, please help!