(AppName) has caused an error in DAO360.dll
Posted on 2004-08-02
Encountering a strange problem on Windows 98 and ME systems with a database error.
I have done a lot of MS Access database projects, using either Access 97 or 2000 databases and DAO. Never had this problem before.
The only difference with this app is that it needs to reference two different database files, one for the existing (old) database, which is Access 2000, and the new database, which I've tried both Access 2000 and 97 formats on. This is a conversion process to convert data and populate the new database without the need to hand type all the data. Also different with this project is password protection on the new database file and encryption on the new database file (neither of these exist on the old Access 2000 .mdb file).
The whole project runs fine on the 98/ME systems if VB6 is installed, so I know that VB6 is installing something that's making the app happy.
MDAC version is irrelevant, since the app runs fine so long as VB6 is installed. All the runtimes and JET support I've used on previous projects are being installed.
The error I get is very vague:
(app name) has caused an error in DAO360.dll
This error message is occuring when the conversion tries to access both the old and new database files during the conversion. I can't be more specific than that, because I can't get the error to occur once VB6 is loaded on the machine for debugging, and I doubt a text debug file would point me to the problem.
This error message has a close button. No error numbers or anything. Stumped. Can't find any mention of this error anywhere.
It has been suggested to me that some database update files need to be installed on the system. Unfortunately the person who told me this can't specify what files, so that's no help.
Clearly, I've established that VB6 is installing something that allows the app to run okay, so I'm hoping someone experienced with DAO and the facts above can steer me in the right direction. The only thing I have left to try is to remove any reference to the password and also decrypt the new database and see if that helps any. However, I do need to password protect and encrypt the data for safety, and the fact that the app runs fine so long as VB6 tags along tells me this should not be something I must give up. ADO is also not an option, as again, something installed with VB6 is allowing this to run, so it's not a case of ADO vs. DAO or anything like that.
I'm very frustrated by this vague error which has ground this whole project to a halt. My last remaining option is to investigate another type of database the client can use that's not going to cost them much, if anything, and something that VB6 can address without my having to make too many changes to the existing project in order to roll it in. However, before I dive into that I'd like to better understand how to fix this problem, as there's got to be a solution other than what I'm considering.