Cisco VPN Client 4.0.3 Fault
Posted on 2004-08-03
Win2K Pro with all security patches applied.
The problem may be caused by the security patch ( KB867801) I applied on 7/31, but the problem manifests itself in Cisco VPN Client (V4.0.3), so I'm posting here.
1) Prior to 7/31 I had no problems using Cicso VPN Client
2) On 7/31 I applied Security patch KB867801
3) On 7/31 I upgraded Sygate Pro firewall
4a) On 8/2 I attempted to connect via Cisco VPN Client. (Only other app runnung is Web-browser [Mozilla]) The attempt failed at the last stage in the process (Securing Communications Channel) because the Peer refused the connection for an Unknown Reason.
4b) I again attempted to make the connection and got an immediate BSOD. (My system is configured to NOT automatically re-boot on BSOD's, but 9 times out of 10 this particular BSOD IS automatically rebooting). Assuming it's the same STOP each time, when the system doesn't automatically re-boot the BSOD is Stop 7F (x8,0,0,0) UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP.
5) I repeated step 4a a number of times while on the phone with my client. They monitored my attempts and saw no reason for the refused connection.
6a) Forgetting I had applied the security patch, I thought the only thing on my system that changed was the Firewall update.
6b) On 8/3 I disabled Sysgate Pro and installed ZoneAlarm Pro
7) Attempting to connect via the VPN Client, I now get the BSOD as soon as it gets to Secure Communications Channel.
8) I realized I also applied the Security patch, which can't be uninstalled, and now think that the patch may be the ultimate cause of the problem.