Having some problems with two Windows XP computers on a Windows 2003 SBS domain. They do not seem to be authenticating with the domain controller properly. It take about 3 - 5 minutes for them to log in. Once they do, everything works fine, even software that is hosted on our server. DNS settings and such are the same as our 2000 boxes which are not having problems. I tried removing computer account from domain to workgroup, deleteing the computer account from the server, rebooting it, and rejoining the computer account and the problem is persisting. I turned off auto enrollment and those errors have stopped. This is the userenv error:
Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted.