Well my modem is pctel hsp 56 micromodem. I got the latest drivers pctel-0.9.7 drivers from linmodems suggested by scan modem.
1) Installed the drivers by running ./setup
2) everything went fine [detected my chipset as pct789] and the installation was successful
3) inserted the two modules using insmod -f pctel and insmod -f ptserial. It was loaded with some errors
4) I tried to dial using wvdial ...the message was 'modem not responding'.
5) i tried kppp ...message was 'initializing modem..'
6) I read an article in which disabling the sound driver will sometime make the modem work...did that by commenting the sound line in modules.conf..again modem didn't work
7) btw when i dial using any of the applications my phone line dies away..i have to restart my linux to activate my phone again
THe MOST IMportant thing is that LINUX IS VERY SLOW .iam using amd 2400 + and 256 MB ram ..what is the problem?