250 GB NTFS file system gone after writing 2 files under win2k without large disk support
Posted on 2004-08-05
How can I recover any or all of the files that were on my 250 gb NTFS disk
1. setup BIOS and win2k SP3 plus registry to enable LBA. Drive is set for compression
2. Happy as can be, drive has about 135 gb
3. Booted to alternate w2k partition to backup drives. This w2k had registry fix but was not even SP1. Therefore not LBA enabled.
4. Created 2 disk image files and placed them on the 250GB file system (but I think this OS saw it as a 128 GB drive)
5. Booted original w2k SP3 os and drive now has no file system
6. I have found no recovery tools that can understand the current state of drive. I had hoped that most files would still be intact on drive and recovery tools could extract them as I have done for other drive issues.
Any info on what logically happend to the drive would help
Info on recovery tools would be great
Info on NTFS structures on disk that might be repairable with a disk editor, ideas, approach?
Any disk recovery experts that might be able to salvage my files?
Thanks for any help you can give