I've read so much posts about spam and open relay problem with Exchange servers, about deleting badmail & queues... also checked posts in MS knowledgebase.
One thing i did not do because is was never mentioned :
In the Acces tab of SMTP Virtual Server properties, most post refers to the relay restrictions to be set on "Only the list below" checked + empty list and "Allow all computers which succesfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the list above" to be also checked! BUT, my queue was still growing and growing!!
So, I've read a MS posting where they told to UNCHECK "Allow all computers which succesfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the list above" if you do not need the POP3/IMAP connection. I did this ( i am the only user with pop3 in our domain, and this is not needed especially), stopped SMTP service & Exchange Information Store , deleted files in badmail & queue folder, restard the services and : no spam relay anymore !!!!
Now I am very happy that my server works again like it should be, but i do not understand my own solution!!
Can someone explain why my queue stop growing whith spam after unchecking "Allow all computers which succesfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the list above"
MS: 319267 HOW TO: Secure Simple Message Transfer Protocol Client Message Delivery in Exchange 2000
1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft Exchange, and then click System Manager.
2. In the left pane of Exchange System Manager, double-click Servers, and then expand the Exchange Server computer that you want to configure.
3. Expand Protocols, and then expand SMTP.
4. Right-click Default SMTP Virtual Server, and then click Properties.
5. Click the Access tab to display the Access Control options.
6. Click the Relay button.
7. In the Relay Restrictions dialog box, make sure that the selection for which computers may relay is set to Only the list below and that the list is blank.
8. Unless you are using POP3 and IMAP4 clients with this virtual server, clear the Allow all computers which successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the list above box, and then click OK.
9. In the SMTP Virtual Server Properties dialog box, click OK.