Java Vs Perl for File Read and Database Update
Posted on 2004-08-09
I want to write a class in Java and I have to justify why writting a solution in Java will be better then Perl.
I have the following task at hand.
1. FTP a flat file containing stocks and prices from another server or (connects to the URL and downloads the data).
2. Read valid curent stocks into a hash from an Oracle table.
3. Read each stock/price from flat file and check if valid against hash in 2.
4. If valid store stock/price in another hash map/table.
5. Update database table with latest price for stock.
We do not want to store the flat file in a DB table , it's to big and we only use 400 stock values out of about 2500.
(Would have to load the data into a DB table if we were using a stored procedure).
Can you advise please?