My XP pro laptop tcp/ip properties has "Obtain an IP address automatically". This works fine at home, and at customer sites.
But last week at a new customer, I used my laptop and a crossover cable to set up a new SBS 2003 network.
At my primary customer, my laptop could no longer receives an IP address. To get on their network I had to manually set laptop as follows.
IP address : 192 .168 .0 .123
Subnet mask : 255 .255 .255 .0
Default gateway : 192 .168 .0 .1
Obtain DNS server address automatically
Use the following DNS server addresses:
Preferred DNS server : 192 .168 .0 .1
Alternate DNS server : ...
I used the device manager to delete the laptop network adapter and rebooted, but DHCP still doesn't work on my client.
The primary customer is a peer to peer network. 192.168.0.1 is a XP Home machine with internet connection sharing. All 3 other XP Pro computers on the network have no trouble using DHCP.