Network structure - Wired with Wireless
Posted on 2004-08-12
I have a small network of 16 computer. The structure of the network is given below. I want to upgrade my network and therefore require your advice.
(Point 1)Hub [4 Computers, One Uplink] - Server is connected to this Hub
(Point 2)The uplink goes to Hub [2 Computers, 3 Uplinks]
Distribution of 3 uplinks
(Point 3) First Uplink: Hub [7 Computers]
(Point 4) Second Uplink: Hub [2 Computers]
(Point 5) Third Uplink: Hub [1 Computer, 1 Uplink]. This uplink goes to a hub (Point 6) with two computers
Reasons of upgrade:
i. The network is running on 10 Mbps because some of the hubs are old. All of our computers have 10/100 Mbps LAN card. Will 100 Mbps make any changes on my network speed? At present it is good. We never face any problem with speed.
ii. At the Point 4 we have a laptop which is giving problem. It automatically goes out of network. On restarting the system again it comes on network. It has some problem in accessing the DHCP of server. The laptop is running on 10 Half Duplex.
iii. The number of hubs is because of there location. These are located in different rooms. Now I want to move Point 4 and 5 to wireless. Is this possible?
1. If I replace all the Hubs with switch then will it make my network better? HOW?
2. Do the 10 Mbps LAN card support 10/100 Mbps switch?
3. Can I have a network with combination of wired and wireless components? HOW?
4. My Point 6 is 200 meter away from Point 4. What will be range of wireless Access Point?
5. Should I make some structural changes to my network?
6. What is required for Wireless? I had read about some Wi-fi. What is Wi-fi?
7. What can i do with my present Hubs, are they waste now?
Thanks a lot in advance.